Friday 30 January 2009

The bark is worse than the bite

YES! it is true. Imagine being woken up at 2 AM in the morning to the great sounds of woofing and howling. And if you thought that was you dreaming those sounds, wake up! coz its your friendly neighbourhood doggie. As if the sound of 1 didnt irritate you enough, there are 4-5 joining the chorus that is sure to uplift you from your dreamy state.

Why! you curse the night! the dogs,the waking up.. almost everything and then try to go back to sleep only to be rudely interrupted by the sounds of the barks, the howls getting louder. Almost as if they were singing to the night! You try to decipher what they are saying - is it to warn people, is it a new dog in the neighbourhood, or are they just having some crazy drunken party??


Well, what I want to know is - how my tax is helping my sleep. What is the government doing to ensure that I get a good nights sleep? You laugh? Not if you were in this city where this is quite common. I guess the government is too busy giving awards to people like Ash Bachhan (however do you spell it?) or to Bhajji Singhjee or to A Kumar. Why I wonder? What have they done to deserve this honor? Which street did they set right? Did they do anything for global terrorism-
heck I heard nothing from these ppl when Mumbai was under fire. Did they star in some award winning movie which brought loads of foreign funds to India? Did they break world records? And most importantly - did they scare the dogs of my neighbourhood away?Umm.. ok scratch that, but I am sure it was on the list of the panel who gave the Padmashree to these people!

The criteria for Padmashree as on wiki is "..is an award given by the Government of India generally to Indian citizens to recognize their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity including the Arts, Education, Industry, Literature, Science, Sports, Social Service and public life. (The word "Padma" (Sanskrit) means "Lotus".)"

Ok, let me get this right. Ash B has contributed to lets say Arts - like how? The beauty and brains is God given. She has made money out of all the various movies she has starred in.That cannot be called a contribution- that is business my friend! Many of which I must say were ruined by the slight nasal accent to the voice. Dont tell me you havent noticed that..Anyway thats my money again! So basically what we are saying is - My money contributed in getting Ash a padmashree???

Ok, moving on to A Kumar. How many of you watched CC2C?I agree the movie was dumb with a captial D, but I would say his acting was better than SRKs any day. But then again, my money made him contribute to the Arts area and got him an award??

I dont think I need to discuss Bhajji here..he follows the same stream of thought.

So basically- this is how Padmashree for famous ppl work. You work hard everyday. In the name of entertainment, you spit out some money to watch a movie or a match or a CD/DVD. Turns out to be bogus. Money is earned by the producer. That money goes to the actor. Makes him famous. Makes him afford labels and swanky cars. AND makes him get a Padmashree for his outstanding contribution!!? Like how! I was the one who contributed to the movie ticket.. Not him. He watched his movie on some free DVD or some premiere in some faraway land. Lifes not fair I tell you!

The only person who perhaps got it on his own merit and without my or my relatives money involved is some craftsman from Kashmir(i read this in todays paper, but his name doesnt appear in the list). Turns out the government got it all wrong.. the person was not a craftsman but your everyday regular businessman. Ok, Ill save my rant for him. Maybe he did promote crafts in terrorism ridden Kashmir and that is something, if nothing.

Anyway, what was I saying again.. Ah yes! Who let the dogs out?;)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, so you can't sleep. There are a few solutions to that ...
    a) Sue the pants off the government for causing mental distress. Heard this is very popular in some countries.
    b) Don't pay tax. That ought to teach 'em !
    c) If you are really sleepy, you won't notice it. So, if you can't sleep, then you don't need sleep. QED :p

    Oh .. and I won't waste breath about padma-whatever awards. I don't know what they are about.

    ReplyDelete